Thursday, February 12, 2009

Time is not on my side


Contrary to the lyrics of the Rolling Stones hit, "time is on my side, yes it is", there are many days when I wish for 28 hours instead of 24.
Here's the schedule for the end of our day, not even factoring in the eight plus hours prior. After a full workday, I pick up the Grand Prince from after school care, which for me is in the same building I'm employed. That's a huge plus. Next it's off to run a few errands, maybe pick up something from the market. If it's not a karate class day or a tennis lesson then we finish up and head home. Upon arriving we greet the menage of animals and then doff the winter attire to appropriate places and tackle the backpack. Homework, notices from school, permission slips, all to be signed, read or filed on the fridge. Next it's homework and a snack. I'm very fortunate he's a conscientious kid and one who enjoys learning, so there's very little balking about getting homework done. The GP is very on target about snacks too and what's okay and what's 'are you kidding me before dinner!?" sort of snacks.
I start tossing in a load of laundry or swapping one to the dryer while answering questions about spelling, grammar or math (Gods, I hate the math part and beg for the Spouse to handle that. Yes, I'm math phobic). Usually the Spouse is home before me and starts dinner. I'm in love with him all over again every day for that!. While dinner cooks, the GP must do 15 to 20 minutes of silent reading and I get the same time to check email, scan the newspaper, sort the mail and reconnect with the Spouse to share the days events. Multitasking? Parents have done it for decades without a fancy title.
After we share dinner and discussions of our day, it's time for cleanup, load the dishwasher and a shower for the Prince. While the grandson sings in the shower, I get clothes ready for the next day and pack lunches and/or snacks and remind him over the din of singing and splashing to make sure homework is safely tucked in the backpack.
Toothbrushing and pajamas come next, a little television and/or snuggle time and in a blink of an eye, the clock strikes eight and it's up to bed and a story. I have managed a few breaths in between. I love you's are exchanged as are hugs and sweet dreams wishes. All within a three hour time span. Whew!
When coworkers at our lunch table excitedly rehash their favorite episodes of Scrubs, CSI:Miami or Law and Order I nod, smile and listen; totally and blissfully clueless.

I'm asleep by 9:30.

Happy Thursday!

No comments: